Dr. Nizam has written several original research papers and made International and National orthopaedic presentations. He continues to be involved in orthopaedic research to benefit both patients and the wider orthopaedic community.
- Minimizing Complications in bikini incision direct anterior approach total hip arthroplasty : A single surgeon series of 865 cases.. Alva A, Nizam I, Gogos S.
- Early Resumption of Driving within 3 weeks following patient-specific instrumented total knee arthroplasty: an evaluation of 160 cases. I. Nizam, A Batra, S. Gogos. BMJ Journals - JISAKOS 28 Mar 2019. doi: 10.1136/jisakos-2018-000268.
- When do patients drive after minimally invasive anterior hip replacements? A single surgeon experience of 212 hip arthroplasties. Batra A, Gogos S Nizam I, Sicot J. 2018, 4, 51.
- One-stage bilateral anterior bikini hip replacement - experience of two cases. Nizam I, Batra A. SICOT-J 2018, 4, 35.
- Accuracy of bone resection in total knee arthroplasty using CTassisted-3D printed patient specific cutting guides SICOT-J 2018, 4, 29. Nizam I, Batra A.
- One-stage Exchange arthroplasty for periprosthetic hip and knee joint infection. Nguyen M, Sukiek M, Zahar A, Nizam I, Haddad FS. The Open Orthopaedics journal. ISSN: 1874-3250 - Vol 10, 2016
- Cobalt And Chromium Ion Levels In Arthroplasty Patients: What Are The Levels, And Where Are They Distributed. I Nizam, L Kohan, C Field, D Kerr, Farrah S. BJJ, Vol 98-B. Supp 3 90B Jan 2016
- The Bikini Hip replacement – Surgical Technique preserving Vessels and Deep Soft Tissues in Direct Anterior Approach Hip replacement. Nizam I, J Orthop Res Physiother 2015, 1: 007
- Do NSAIDS cause Endoprosthetic loosening. Mid to Long Term follow up of 100 total hip arthroplasties after Local NSAID Infiltration. Nizam I, Kohan L, Kerr D, Field C. BioMed Research International Volume 2015 (2015), Article ID 703071.
- Outcomes Following Use Of Antibiotic-Eluting, Absorbable, Calcium Sulphate Beads In Revision Hip And Knee Surgery For Periprosthetic Infection. Kallala R, Nizam I, Haddad FS. BJJ 2013 Vol 95-B. Supp 34 364.
- Instructional Review: Enhanced Recovery in Hip Replacement Surgery in the 21st century: A Clinical Review. Ibrahim M, Nizam I, Khan A, Haddad FS. Bone and Joint Journal (JBJS). 2013.
- An Evidence based review of enhanced recovery interventions in knee replacement surgery. Ibrahim M, Nizam I, Al-Azzawi S, Haddad FS. Annals of Royal Coll Surg Eng. 2013.
- Perioperative interventions producing better functional outcomes and enhanced recovery following total hip and knee arthroplasty: An Evidence-based Review. Ibrahim M, Khan A, Nizam I, Haddad F. BMC Med; 11: 37. 2013.
- Hip Resurfacing in an 88-year old patient? Highlighting selection criteria for Hip resurfacings in patients older than 65 years. Nizam I, Kohan L, Kerr D. J Arthroplasty. 2009;24(7):1143-1144.
- DoNon-steroidal anti inflammatory drugs cause endoprosthetic loosening? Nizam I, Kohan L, Kerr D. JBJS (Br) 2009 Vol 91-B. Supp 3. 473.
- A Case Series Of Ninety-Nine Hybrid Metal-On-Metal Hips – Birmingham Resurfacing Cups And Birmingham Modular Heads. I. Nizam, L. Kohan and D. Kerr. J Bone Joint Surg Br 2009 vol. 91-B no. SUPP III 472-473.
- The Effects Of High Frequency, Low Magnitude Mechanical Vibrations Using The Juvent Dynamic Motion Therapy Device On Fracture Healing In Oestrogen Deficient Rodent Models. Nizam I, Oliver R, Walsh WR. J Bone Joint Surg Br 2009 vol. 91-B no. SUPP III 448.
- Hip Resurfacings In Patients Aged 65 Years And Over? – A Single Surgeon Series Of 111 Hip Resurfacings With A Unique Group Of Selection Criteria. I. Nizam, L. Kohan and D. Kerr. J Bone Joint Surg Br 2009 vol. 91-B SUPP III 446.
- Nocardia Nova Septic Arthritis following total knee replacement : Nizam I, Kohan L, Kerr D. J Orthop Surg. 2007;15(3):390-2.
- Nail Gun Injuries: Injuries to the Knee and Chest. Nizam I, Choong PFM. (Dept of Orthopaedics, St. Vincents Hospital, Melbourne) Injury; Vol 34, issue 3, Mar 2003, 240-24.
- Thallium Scintigraphy – A predictor of tumour necrosis in soft tissue sarcoma following preoperative radiotherapy?A study to evaluate and predict the histological response to local Radiotherapy. P.F.M. Choong, I. Nizam, S.Y.K. Ngan, S. Schlict, G. Powell, J. Slavin, P. Smith, G, Toner, R. Hick.
National and International Presentations
- When are patients actually Driving after Bikini Anterior hip Replacements and Patient Specific Knee Replacements: A Single surgeon Experience of 353 Joint Replacements - ISTA meeting London - October 2018.
- Accuracy of Bone Resection in Patient Specific Total Knee Replacement using CT Assisted 3D printed Patient Specific Cutting Guides. ISTA Meeting London October 2018
- The Bikini Hip Replacement – A Surgical Technique preserving Vessels and Deep soft tissues in Direct Anterior Hip Replacement. (P)- Presentations at:
- World Arthroplasty Congress ICJR, Paris, France, April 2015
- London Hip Meeting , London UK, April, 2015.
- Cobalt and Chromium levels in Arthroplasty patients: What are the levels and where are they distributed. Nizam I, Kohan L, Kerr D et al. London Hip Meeting, London, UK , April 2015.
- Cobalt and Chromium levels in Arthroplasty patients: What are the levels and where are they distributed. Nizam I, Kohan L, Kerr D, Field C, Farrah S, McQuilty R. International Society of Technology in Arthroplasty – Kyoto, Japan, Sept 2014.
- Preliminary report of outcomes following use of antibiotic-eluting, absorbable, calcium sulphate beads in revision hip and knee surgery for periprosthetic infection. Kallala R. Nizam I, Haddad FS. British Hip Society meeting 2013, U.K.
- An Evidence based review of enhanced recovery interventions in knee replacement surgery. Ibrahim M, Nizam I, Haddad FS. In print. EFFORT, Turkey, 2013.
- Early results for implementing the enhanced recovery program in primary total knee replacement. Ibrahim M, Nizam I, Al-Kizwini E, , Haddad FS. Presented British Association of Surgery of the Knee, London 2013.
- Do non-steroidal anti inflammatory drugs cause endoprosthetic loosening? A Review of 100 patients with a minimum follow up of 10 years. I Nizam, Kohan L, Kerr D. British Hip Society Meeting, Bristol, UK, 2013.
- The Early results of Modular Hybrid hip replacements – The Birmingham Cup and cemented/uncemented stems. (Nizam/ Kohan)- presented EORS – Spain 2008 May, AOA Canberra 2008 October.
- Hip Resurfacings in the over 65 age group? Nizam I, Kohan L, Kerr D. Presented in EORS, Madrid, Spain 2008, AOA 2007 Gold coast.
- Do non-steroidal anti inflammatory drugs cause endoprosthetic loosening? (Nizam, Kohan, D. Kerr). Presented 2008 EORS Spain, AOA Canberra Oct 2008.
- The Effects of High Frequency low magnitude mechanical vibrations on fracture healing in a rodent model. (Nizam I,Walsh WR)
Presented at several conferences:
- AOA 2007 branch meeting October, Australia
- European Orthopaedic Research Society, 2008, May, Madrid, Spain
- Orthopaedic Research Society, 2007,Hawaii, USA
- AOA 2008, Canberra, Australia
- AOA 2007 Gold coast, Australia
- Influence of Neurostimulation in a Transected Medial Collateral Ligament in Sheep. (Nizam I, Walsh, D. Bell). Univ of NSW .Presented at ORS 2008 Hawaii.
- Internet usage as a source of information among outpatients in Orthopaedic surgery. Nizam I, Max Esser.Departments of Orthopaedic Surgery Alfred and Sandringham Hospital. Vic Australia.
- World med-net Congress, Toronto, Canada, Oct 2006
- RACS – NSW Committee : Paper day, Sydney 2006
- Regional Orthopaedic Meeting, 18th march 2005. Victorian Branch,Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, Melbourne
- Improving the Anterior Minimally Invasive (Bikini Hip Replacement) Hip Replacement. – Avoiding Tissue Damage – Improving Surgical Techniques. Currently 4-5 research projects including anatomy dissections – 2014 – UNE.
- Stem Cell Therapy (adipose tissue derived MSC) in focal defects in Knee and Hip conditions
- DVT prophylaxis in the setting of Enhanced Recovery Programme
- The Benefits of Early Mobilization after joint replacements (University college London, UK)
- The outcomes following use of antibiotic-eluting, absorbable, calcium sulphate beads in revision hip and knee surgery for periprosthetic infection (University College London, UK)
Masters and Research – Surgical and Orthopaedic Research Laboratories, UNSW, Sydney, Australia.(06-08)
- Juvent Study – Masters Thesis: The effects of high frequency low magnitude mechanical vibrations on fracture healing. (Nizam I, Oliver R, Walsh WR). Surgical and Orthopaedics Laboratories, POW Hospital, Sydney, NSW, Australia
- Enhancement of Spinal Fusion using demineralized bone Matrix
- Medial Collateral Ligament Healing using the NRG Device
- A Radiographic Review of Mid term Findings of LCS Knee Arthroplasties – Multi Centre Study
- The Effects of a topical oil preparation on wound healing
- The Effects of Bone Healing in critical Sized Ulna Defects after topical Application of an oil preparation