Orthopaedic Fellowship Program
Dr. Nizam will have an AOA (Australian Orthopaedic Associaiton) accredited Orthopaedic Fellow in our institution.
This is a 12 month clinical and research program.
The orthopaedic fellow is usually a board qualified orthopaedic surgeon who will be learning new techniques to improve their surgical skills in the first few years of their practice in an area of interest.
This is a hip and knee fellowship program where the fellow will be exposed to a large volume of surgical cases mainly:
- Anterior Bikini Hip Replacement
- Hip Arthroscopy
- Hip Resurfacing
- Knee Replacements (Robotic, Patient Specific, Navigated/Non- Navigated)
- ACL reconstruction
- Revision Hip and Knee replacement surgery
- Hip and Knee Sports Injuries
- Adult and Paediatric Trauma
The Fellow is usually expected to attend consulting sessions to see the wide variety of orthopaedic cases to improve their orthopaedic knowledge base and understanding the complexity of managing such cases. They will have the opportunity to attend our audit meetings and expected to attend clinical meetings.
Dr. Nizam will be teaching the fellows during the consulting sessions and throughout the surgical procedures.
The fellow will be involved in clinical research studies as an integral part of this fellowship program to determine surgical results and improve our clinical outcomes to benefit our patients and the wider community.
The fellow will have opportunities to present studies in local and international meetings/conferences and publish papers in peer reviewed journals.
The ultimate goal is to strive for excellence in patient care and provide best practice and surgical outcomes for patients.
Past Orthopaedic Surgeon Clinical and Research Fellows
Jan to June 2018: Dr. Ashish Batra
Qualification - M.B.B.S.; D.N.B. (Orthopaedics)
M.B.B.S. completed from Saurashtra university in the year 2010.
3 years (2011-2014) National Board of Examinations, New Delhi accredited training programme in Orthopaedics from Swatantra Hospital and GSL Medical College & Hospital, Rajahmundry, India.
Awarded with the Degree of Diplomate of National Board in Orthopaedic Surgery in the year Dec 2014.
Registered with Medical Council of India (MCI) as a Specialist in Orthopaedics in 2015
After training I was working as a Specialist in the Department of Orthopaedics, Geetanjali Medical College & Hospital (1100 beds), Udaipur, Rajasthan, India.Projects during my Fellowship with Dr. Nizam in Melbourne:-
- Original Research on “Accuracy of bone resection in Total Knee Arthroplasty using CT assisted – 3D printed patient specific cutting guides” - Published by SICOT Orthopaedic Journal.
- Case Report on “One Stage Bilateral Bikini Hip Replacement – Experience of two cases”- Published by SICOT Orthopaedic Journal.
- Original Research on “When Do Patients Drive After Minimally Invasive Anterior Hip Replacement? A Single Surgeon Experience of 212 Hip Arthroplasties”- Currently under Review of SICOT Orthopaedic Journal.
- Original Research on “How soon can patient drive after Total Knee Arthroplasty and return to work. An Evaluation of 160 Total Knee Arthroplasties”- Currently under Review of Open Orthopaedic Journal.
- Study on "Woodpecker pneumatic femoral broaching in direct anterior approach hip arthroplasty. An experience of 649 cases"- Ongoing Research paper.